Monday, August 28, 2006

Women without a frock!!

There was one piece of garment which had been fascinating ever since i learnt how different dresses look and feel - frock! My mother had a queer reason for liking to have girl children at home - you can dress them beautifully while boy kids always had either a half trouser and a t-shirt. There were numerous options available for girl children - pattu pavadai being my mom's fav - but a frock is one that caught my attention the most. My sister used to have a lot of them - one with bear dolls all over , one with flowers of strange forms, one with trains running all over!. Though she was not the young priti-zinta like child my mom boasted her of, yet i have always thought the frock gave girl children a strange beauty of their own. As times changed, with androgen spurting up with my teens, frocks meant long legs and hair remover ads sporting women with beautiful looks.Yesteryear heroines who dint have the privilege of sporting a bikini even in a durga puja as the mallikas and matondkars do today, wore frocks to show off the sensuos side of them. I personally feel sridevi and silk smitha for that matter looked their best in a rightly coloured frock. ( that were made to wear blood red and shining gold ones were another thing). But the best thing about this dress - along with the half saree in this part of the world - is not every woman would pass off fine on them just by wearing them. you need a lot of passion in dressing up completely in addition to your attire - the way your hair looks, the makeup you wear and the slippers you were too! - which girls nowadays i feel lack the knowledge of. They find it hard to carry them with a frock - either it turns up nastily obscene that every 50 year old starts drooling or too misfitting that their boy friend start thinking she has picked this up on the suggestion of some crook friend of hers.
Times have changed and so have peoples fascination for dresses. Nowadays I find children of 5 - 10 years dressed up in jean trousers, mini sherwanis! ( or what you call them?? ) ; girl children in sleeveless pull overs, chudidhars (it sometimes looks sick even on grown ups) and tight fitting wrap arounds. Some things that were left behind by the British speak volumes of the grace they carried. And you need not wait for me saying that i am eagerly waiting to watch a gracious heroine spoting my favourite women wear!

P.S : 1. Sorry guys if you had expected a mango-aunty story out there.
2. and the guys who really think that why write a post on this, its because of two reasons - one is me almost falling off in sleep after my lunch that I wanted to get me going by writing and the second one is, that the only place nowadays where I find a women with a frock on is on the door of a ladies' toilet!

1 comment:

ESIH said...

that was very well written, and i couldnt help laugh at the last line!